The West Somerset area Planning Search will be unavailable on Wednesday 21 October from 6pm for essential maintenance.
Claim housing benefit and Council tax support
Housing benefit helps people on low incomes pay their rent.
We deal with housing benefit for the Government for tenants in the Somerset West and Taunton area.
The Government has introduced Universal Credit for working age people. It covers new claims if you need help with paying your rent. It also covers these five main benefits:
- Income Support
- Child Tax Credit
- Working Tax Credit
- Employment and Support Allowance (income-related)
- Jobseeker’s Allowance (income-based)
You can claim Universal Credit.
If this doesn't apply to you, or you and your partner are pension age, and you are on a low income and you pay rent to us, a housing association or a private landlord, you can apply for housing benefit. If you are a mixed age couple, there are some exceptions to this rule - please call us on 0300 304 8000 for more information.
Council tax support
We have our own support scheme to help people on low incomes pay their council tax. We need to know how much money you’ve got coming in to see if you can get this support.
If you are claiming housing benefit at the same time, we will work out your council tax support using the details you provide for your housing benefit claim.
If you need to claim Universal Credit and council tax support, fill in our claim form below as well as the online claim form for Universal Credit.
How to claim housing benefit and council tax support
Following the latest government advice to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus SWT has closed its offices to protect our community and staff.
To claim both Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support, use the 'Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support claim form'.
To just claim Council Tax Support, use the shortened 'Council Tax Support claim form'.
How to claim:
- Download the claim form below
- Save it to your computer or mobile device and fill it in electronically
- Open the claim form. You can type details into each field and ‘check’ tick boxes from your computer or mobile device
- Where you are asked to provide a signature, type in the persons’ full name
- Once you have done this, save it to your device
- The checklist in the form tells you the evidence we need to see
- Use your smartphone or mobile devise to take photographs of the evidence you need to support your claim
- Send your completed claim form and photos of your evidence by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you send any evidence separately, make sure you put your full name and address in the email.
The sooner you send us your claim with all the evidence we need, the quicker we can work out your claim.
Alternatively, phone us on 0300 304 8000 and a case manager will take you through the claim form over the phone and fill it on for you.
Do not send us your claim form or any evidence through the post.