Claim housing benefit and Council tax support

Housing benefit

Housing benefit helps people on low incomes pay their rent.

We deal with housing benefit for the Government for tenants in the Somerset West and Taunton area.

The Government has introduced Universal Credit for working age people. It covers new claims if you need help with paying your rent. It also covers these five main benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income-related)
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance (income-based)

You can claim Universal Credit.

If this doesn't apply to you, or you and your partner are pension age, and you are on a low income and you pay rent to us, a housing association or a private landlord, you can apply for housing benefit. If you are a mixed age couple, there are some exceptions to this rule - please call us on 0300 304 8000 for more information.

Council tax support

We have our own support scheme to help people on low incomes pay their council tax. We need to know how much money you’ve got coming in to see if you can get this support.

If you are claiming housing benefit at the same time, we will work out your council tax support using the details you provide for your housing benefit claim.

If you need to claim Universal Credit and council tax support, fill in our online claim form as well as the online claim form for Universal Credit.

How to claim housing benefit and council tax support

You can:

  • Apply for housing benefit and council tax support 
  • We will decide your claim when you’ve provided all the information we need

Useful information