Council tax support income band scheme
When we calculate a customer’s entitlement, we place them into a band which is dependent on their assessed income.
If somebody is on a passported benefit they are placed in band 1.
|Rebate (income band)||Single people||Couple no children||Couple with one child||Lone parent with one child||Couple with two children||Lone parent with two children|
- this scheme only affects people of working age. The scheme for Somerset West and Taunton is called Council tax support (CTS)
- we can pay up to 80% of the Council tax bill
- the maximum rebate for 2019/20 will be 80% of a band D for Somerset West and Taunton – previously for West Somerset Council it was 85% of a BAND C and at Taunton Deane Borough Council 85% of band D. This is now aligned under Somerset West and Taunton Council
- there will be no CTS paid for customers with savings over £6000
- the non-dependent deduction will be a flat rate of £5.00 regardless of income – no non-dependent deduction if receiving PIP/DLA as normal
- we will disregard Carers Allowance in full from the income used to work out Council tax support
- care leavers – up to age 25 will have their claim assessed on 100% Council tax liability and not 80% as long as they are in Income Band 1
- we will disregard the Housing Element included in a Universal Credit award
- we will apply a weekly disregard of £50 from the income used to work out CTS for each child where there are more than 2 children in the household
- we will apply a weekly disregard of £50 from the income used to work out CTS for customers who would previously have met the qualifying conditions for the disability premium