Making Direct Earnings Attachment payments
On receiving a DEA notice, you must:
- make regular payments to us until we tell you to stop or the maximum amount to be recovered has been taken from your employee’s earnings
- pay the amount you have taken from your employee’s wages over to Somerset West and Taunton Council as soon as possible, but no later than the 19th day of the month following the month in which you have taken it
For example, if you take the money on 30 September, you must send it to us before 19 October. If you take the money on 1 October, you must send it to us before 19 November.
For payments by BACS (Automated Credit Transfer) or cheque you must send us a Direct Earnings Attachment payments schedule. We have included a blank schedule for you to use. You can copy it as many times as you need.
The Direct Earnings Attachment payments schedule must include the following details for each person for whom you were asked to make deductions from earnings:
- their full names (forenames and surname)
- their LA Reference Number as shown on the DEA notice you were sent
- the amount of the deduction (in pounds sterling) that has been deducted or
- the reason why a deduction cannot be made when appropriate
The amount of the automated credit transfer or cheque must be the same as the total amount of deductions shown on the Direct Earnings Attachment payments schedule.
If you prefer, you can upload an electronic copy of the schedule using the online general enquiries form.
Yes – go to b
No – tell the Council within 10 days
Are there any orders for deductions already in place that will take priority over the Council’s DEA and prevent it being set up?
Yes – tell the Council within 10 days
No – go to d
Calculate your employees net earnings for DEA purposes.
Yes – go to f
No – tell the Council within 10 days
Decide how much of their net earnings will be deducted.
If you deduct that amount, will they be left with less than 60% of their wages - the protected amount?
Yes – If possible, adjust your deductions level to leave them with 60% of their net earnings OR within 10 days, tell the Council that no deductions can be made.
No – go to h
Make sure the total amount deducted through this and previous deductions is not more than the total amount stated in the notice.
Make the necessary arrangements to your payroll for the deduction to be made.
Tell the employee of the amount to be deducted no later than the pay day on which the deduction is made.
Pay the amount deducted from your employee’s earnings to the Council no later than the 19th day of the month following the month in which it was made.
If paying by BACS or cheque, send the Council a Direct Earnings Attachment payment schedule with details of the payment.
We do not accept cash.
Examples of Direct Earnings Attachment
A weekly paid earner with no prior attachment orders:
- a person with net earnings of £385 a week will have a deduction of £57.75 a week (in accordance with the deduction rates table at 15%)
A weekly paid earner with an existing attachment order for child maintenance:
- a person with net earnings of £250 a week with an existing attachment order of £60 a week for child maintenance will have a deduction of £17.50 (in accordance with the deduction table at 7%)
A monthly paid earner with existing priority attachment orders totalling £486:
- a person with net earnings of £1,620 a month should have a DEA deduction of £243 (in accordance with the deduction table at 15%). However, this deduction in addition to the existing deductions of £486, will breach the protected earnings limit of 60%. The maximum deduction that can be made is £162
- earnings x 40% = £648 (maximum amount for total deductions)
- existing priority attachment order in place = £486
Making payments to us
Go to our online payment portal. you can pay by Mastercard credit or debit cards. Select 'other invoices' account type. You will need to enter your invoice number.
Use your online banking service to make payment to us. Please quote the account number shown on your bill.
Our bank details:
Account name: SWT Collection Account
Account number: 00000000
Sort code: 62 - 25 - 87
If you have a Visa Mastercard credit or debit card, you can make payment using our 24/7 automated phone payment service on 0300 304 8000. Please have your invoice number ready.