Skip to main content

Empty property rates

You don’t have to pay business rates on empty buildings for three months. After this time, you will have to pay full business rates. Industrial buildings can get 6 months’ relief.

If you are only using part of a building, you may be able to claim rate relief known as 'section 44a relief'. We can award this relief if the 'part occupation' is for a short time only and where:

  • the building is partly occupied because you are phasing full occupation over a period of time; or
  • part occupation is short-term building works, fire damage or similar

If your property can’t be occupied because it’s in poor condition and can’t be economically repaired, you can ask the Valuation Office Agency to take it off the rating list.

Contact us using the general enquiries online form to find out more.