Taking immediate action to address climate change and the impacts on our district is a key priority for Somerset West and Taunton Council.
In 2019, we declared a climate emergency and committed to working towards achieving carbon neutrality and climate resilience by 2030.
We now want to hear your views on what the issues are and how we can collectively tackle them.
What we are doing
We are working with partners across the county to develop a Somerset Climate Emergency Strategy. Alongside this Strategy we are developing our own local action plan for Somerset West and Taunton as a Council and an area as a whole. Our local action plan will supplement the county-wide strategy with more specific and local priorities and actions. Both documents are being developed along the same timescales.
Timetable for the District and County Plans
- Nov 2019 - Strategic Framework documents setting out early ideas
- Jan-Feb 2020 - Phase 1 consultation with the public on the early ideas
- Apr 2020 - Draft Plans finalised
- Apr-May 2020 - Phase 2 consultation with the public on the draft plan
- July 2020 - Final plans finalised
You can view the ideas for Somerset West and Taunton in either a summary version or the full document:
You can view the ideas for the Somerset climate emergency strategy by visiting the Somerset County Council website.
Have your say
To be truly effective, our plan for Somerset West and Taunton needs to be created in collaboration with local residents, communities and businesses, and inspire us all to take action.
We would like to hear what you think about our ideas. You can leave feedback in one of the following ways:
- complete the online survey
- email us with your thoughts at firstname.lastname@example.org
- post comments and images on our Facebook, Twitter or Instagram
- attend one of our many events we are planning to find out more
Why not attend one of our Events?
Between 23 January and 26 February 2020 we are holding a number of public events across the district. Please do come along, see our displays, ask questions and find out more.