Coronavirus (COVID-19) information and advice

Recycling and waste collections after the Spring Bank Holiday on Monday 25 May will all be one day later. Check the Somerset Waste Partnership website for details

Complaints and compliments

We aim to provide excellent service to all of our customers. If we get something wrong, we want to try to put it right quickly and learn from the mistake to help improve services in the future.

You can also tell us when we’ve done things well and given you excellent customer service. We’re also keen to have your suggestions on how we can improve. Use the online form to tell us about a complaint or compliment.

Complaints would cover:

  • failing to deliver a service
  • a delay in providing a service
  • the behaviour of a member of our staff

Your complaint should be about something specific. Please let us know:

  • what has gone wrong, giving us as much detail as possible because it helps us to understand the situation better
  • how it has affected you
  • what you would like us to do to put things right

Complaints should be made as soon as possible after the incident because it is easier to gather information at the time and to avoid a repeat.

Note: Somerset West and Taunton Council does not deal with education (schools), highways (roads/roadworks/potholes) and adult and social care (Social Services). Please direct any complaints concerning these areas to Somerset County Council complaints process.

The complaints process

If you make a complaint it will be acknowledged and investigated by our Corporate Feedback case manager whose role is to manage and monitor corporate feedback to ensure that we learn from our mistakes, correct them and improve the customer experience.

We aim to provide a full response within 10 working days however in complex cases this may not be possible, the corporate feedback case manager will keep you updated on our progress.

If you are not satisfied, you have the right to contact the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman - this is an independent, impartial and free service.

How you can help us

We understand it’s frustrating when we don’t meet your expectations. We’ll do everything we can to resolve your complaint to your satisfaction. In return, we ask that you:

  • treat our staff with respect
  • do not use abusive language or behaviour when dealing with us
  • meet all reasonable requests we make when we try to address your concerns

Housing Ombudsman

Complaints about the council in its role as a social landlord, and its responsibilities for leasehold housing, are dealt with according to the law.

If you are unhappy with the outcome of your complaint you can refer the issue to your local councillor or MP. You can choose to wait 8 weeks. After this after you can go to the Housing Ombudsman direct.

When your councillor or MP gets your complaint they can:

  • help resolve your complaint
  • refer the complaint to the Housing Ombudsman before the 8 week time limit