Skip to main content

Appeal against your council tax bill

If you disagree with any decision we make on your council tax, including council tax support, you can appeal against it.

You can appeal if you think:

  • you should not be responsible for council tax on a property
  • your property should be exempt from council tax
  • a decision we’ve made on your council tax support is wrong
  • the amount you have to pay is wrong (for example, you think a discount should apply)
  • your property is in the wrong council tax band; or
  • the date we have given on a completion notice is wrong
  • if you want to appeal against your council tax band, follow the 'appeal a Council tax bill or fine' guidance on the website

If you want to appeal about a completion notice because you do not think your property was finished, or could have been finished, by the date the Council has given, contact us. If we can’t agree a new completion date, you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service. This must be done within four weeks of us sending you the completion notice.

For all other appeals, write to us using the general enquiries online form giving your name and address, the property in question, the decision you are appealing against and why. Please provide a daytime phone number or an email address. We may ask for further information and this can help speed things up.

We will look at the decision again to see if we can change it. We will write to tell you the outcome.

If you disagree with our decision

If you still disagree with our decision after a review, or you do not hear from us within two months, you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service. You will need to fill in a Valuation Tribunal Service appeal forms which you can download or fill in online.

You must keep on paying your council tax as shown on your bill while your appeal is being considered.

If you win your appeal and you overpay council tax, we will refund you.

Appeals to the Valuation Office Agency or Valuation Tribunal Service are free and they cannot award costs against you if you lose.

However, you do have to meet your own costs in attending the hearing and will also have to pay if you ask an agent to represent you.