We have officers ready to help you. If you are struggling to make payments to us and others, there are things we may be able to do to help you by:
- maximising your potential Council Tax discounts and benefit entitlement through Council Tax Support, Universal Credit or Housing Benefit
- changing your payment date
- changing the frequency of your payments weekly, fortnightly or monthly
- making an arrangement to pay over a longer period of time
- accepting nominal payments for a temporary period
- considering a temporary hold on any recovery actions
- holding or stopping bailiff/enforcement action
- if you are on benefits and struggling to pay your Rent or Council Tax you may be entitled to additional help see our discretionary payments page
- referring you onto a Welfare/Benefit/Revenue or discretionary awards officer
- offering a friendly walk in service or private appointment at Deane House, Belvedere Road, Taunton or West Somerset House, Killick Way, Taunton
- refer you onto free independent external help (or you can go direct to the local Citizen Advice or Money Advice Service by using the links below)
Our aim is to help you out of debt so you can pay all of your important bills on time and by doing so improve your mental health and wellbeing. Please contact us:
Council Tax or Business Rates
Housing Benefit Overpayments and Sundry Debts
Our rent recovery team can help with:
- balance enquiries
- debt and benefit enquiries
- payment arrangements
- rent statements
- general enquires
- reporting changes about your rent
Independent money advice
Money advice service
If you are worried about debts or have missed other payments, there is also free and independent debt advice available. The government sponsored Money Advice Service can help you find support.
Breathing Space is a new government initiative that comes into force on 4 May 2021. It will provide people struggling with debt (and wider vulnerabilities) a period of protection from debt collection activities, temporarily freezing interest, fees, and enforcement, pausing contact from creditors (in relation to eligible debts), preventing seizure and sale of goods, and preventing some third party deductions. The scheme aims to help people in problem debt to better manage their finances, seek professional debt advice and reach long term sustainable solutions.
There are two types of Breathing Space:
- Standard Breathing Space will last for a duration of 60 days and
- Mental Health Crisis Breathing Space will last for the duration of any mental health treatment that an individual is undergoing plus an additional 30 days. There is no time limit on how long mental Health crisis can last.
Debt Advisors can be found from the links above. They can help you assess you eligibility.