Skip to main content

In memory of His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh

Debt advice

We have officers ready to help you. If you are struggling to make payments to us and others, there are things we may be able to do to help you by:

  • maximising your potential Council Tax discounts and benefit entitlement through Council Tax Support, Universal Credit or Housing Benefit
  • changing your payment date
  • changing the frequency of your payments weekly, fortnightly or monthly
  • making an arrangement to pay over a longer period of time
  • accepting nominal payments for a temporary period
  • considering a temporary hold on any recovery actions
  • holding or stopping bailiff/enforcement action
  • if you are on benefits and struggling to pay your Rent or Council Tax you may be entitled to additional help see our discretionary payments page
  • referring you onto a Welfare/Benefit/Revenue or discretionary awards officer
  • offering a friendly walk in service or private appointment at Deane House, Belvedere Road, Taunton or West Somerset House, Killick Way, Taunton
  • refer you onto free independent external help (or you can go direct to the local Citizen Advice or Money Advice Service by using the links below)

Our aim is to help you out of debt so you can pay all of your important bills on time and by doing so improve your mental health and wellbeing. Please contact us:

Council Tax or Business Rates

Phone: 0300 304 8000 or Email:

Housing Benefit Overpayments and Sundry Debts

Phone: 01823 219 319 or Email:


Phone: 0300 304 8000 for referral onto Rent Officer or Welfare Team.

Independent money advice

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice Taunton - Phone: 0808 278 7842 
Citizens Advice West Somerset -  Phone: 0800 802 1808 

Money advice service

If you are worried about debts or have missed other payments, there is also free and independent debt advice available. The government sponsored Money Advice Service can help you find support.

Business debtline

If you are self-employed or run your own business for help please go direct to Business Debtline or Phone: 0800 197 626