Skip to main content

Disabled person band reduction

If you are disabled and your home is specially adapted you can get a disabled persons’ band reduction.

This means we work out how much council tax you have to pay as if your home is one band lower than it normally would be. If you’re already in a band A home, we can’t apply a lower band but we can give a reduction that’s the same in cash terms as reductions for homes in bands B to H.

To get a reduction:

  • your property must be the main home of at least one disabled person. This can be an adult or a child. It doesn’t have to be the person responsible for paying the council tax
  • you, or the person living there, must be substantially or permanently disabled

The property must have:

  • a room (not a bathroom, kitchen or toilet) which is mostly used by the disabled person and meets their needs
  • a second bathroom or kitchen for their use
  • extra space inside to allow them to use a wheelchair or rollator indoors

Use the general enquiries online form to contact us about this reduction so we can arrange to visit the property. We can also let you know how to send us photos of your home as an alternative.

We will also need to see a letter from your GP, social worker or physiotherapist, stating how the adaptations or space are essential and really important for your wellbeing as someone with a disability.

If we award you a band reduction, we will send you a new council tax bill.