Skip to main content

Non-payment of council tax

It is important you pay your council tax. If you don’t pay, we’ll have to take steps to get payment. You must pay the instalments shown on your council tax bill even if you don’t agree with the amount.

If you think you will struggle to pay your bill, contact us using the general enquiries online form so we can talk about setting up a repayment plan. We will usually only do this if you agree to make the first payment in the month we agree a plan and pay the remaining amounts by Direct Debit.

What happens if you don’t pay

If you do not pay a council tax instalment on time, we will send you a reminder telling you to pay the sum within seven days.

If you do not pay, you will lose your right to pay by instalments and we will demand you pay the full amount for the year.

If you do not pay this amount within seven days, we will issue you with a court summons. We will add costs of £71.50 to your bill.

Once we issue a summons we will only consider setting up a repayment plan over the remaining months of the financial year and no further. This will be on condition we obtain a liability order from the Magistrates Court. We will include the court costs in the repayment plan.

It is very unlikely you will need to attend the hearing in person.

After the court hearing, we will send a letter asking for more information about your situation. We have to do this by law and you must return this form to us within 21 days.

If the court grants a liability order we will pass your case to our enforcement agent for collection. You can avoid this happening by agreeing a repayment plan with us. Download the financial assessment form, complete and upload it using the general enquiries online form.

Get in touch with us

You should always get in touch with us to talk over your circumstances - there's a good chance we can sort the matter out.

If you are struggling to pay, print and complete the financial assessment form and upload it to the general enquiries online form.

If we take you to court, you will have to prove you did not get any bills and reminders we have sent to you. We will only send notices to your last known address. If you have moved without telling us it is not a defence to claim notices were sent to an old address. You must complete a change of address form when you move. You can do this online by completing the change of circumstances online form.