Dog control orders
The previous West Somerset Council introduced Dog Control Orders under the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005 coving the whole of the district.
Dog Control Orders require people to clean up after any dog in their charge, keep the dog on lead and restrict access to a small number of sites within the District.
The Control Order for fouling applies to all land in the old District of West Somerset which is open to the public, with or without payment. This includes roads, footpaths, pavements, alley ways and towpaths, all grass verges, parks and open spaces.
Dog exclusion areas
- Play area Brushford
- Play area, Hillview Road
- Play area and Recreation Ground
- Sports Field and Recreation Ground
- Dunster Marsh Playing Field
- Packhorse Bridge Playing Field
- Football field
- Dunster cemeteries
- St. Georges Church yard
- Tithe Barn Community Hall
- Blenheim Gardens
- Irnham Road Recreation Ground
- Culvercliffe Play Area
- Millennium Rose Garden
- Minehead Beach*
*Seasonal Minehead Beach Ban 1 May – 30 September Inclusive. From the Golf Club to Minehead Harbour.
- Play Area, Porlock Recreational Ground
- Memorial Garden, Porlock Recreational Ground
- Henry David Playing Field
- Play Area, Memorial Ground
- Play Area, Williton Memorial Ground
- Play Area, opposite Memorial Hall
Dogs on leads
- Exmoor Lawns
- Lower Parks Walk (from Parkhouse Road to Periton Lane)
- Minehead Seafront
- Kings George V Playing Field, Alcombe
- Cross Farm Park, Alcombe
- Recreation Ground
- St Dubricius Churchyard and Cemetery
- Car park opposite Memorial Hall
If you can give us proof that someone’s not following these orders, then tell us using the 'something else' section of the general enquiries online form.