Become a Councillor
Being a councillor is a great way to speak up for your community. You can stand for election in your town or parish, for the Somerset West and Taunton Council, or for Somerset County Council.
You can be an independent, or represent a political party. If you want to represent a party, you will first need to join one and ask them to select you as their candidate for your area.
Criteria to be eligible to stand for election
- A UK, EU or Commonwealth Citizen
- Registered to vote on the current register with the local council
- Have either worked or lived in the council's area for one year
- Have been an owner or tenant of any land or premises in the council's area for one year
Further information on what we expect from you
- Letter district candidates and agents election information
- District Council nomination pack
- Request for electoral register form
- Guidance on the conduct of tellers in and around polling places