The Government’s National Air Quality Strategy sets objectives for three main air pollutants to protect people’s health. We are responsible for carrying out regular reviews of air quality in our area. If they indicate that the objectives will not be met, we must designate an Air Quality Management Area. We have to produce an action plan outlining measures that can be taken to try to improve air quality in the area.
Our most recent Air Quality reports are:
- Somerset West and Taunton Council report 2021
- Somerset West and Taunton Council report 2020
- Somerset West and Taunton Council report 2019
- Taunton Deane Borough Council report 2018
- West Somerset Council report 2018
Further information on air quality can be found on the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) website.
Laws and regulation
The Environment Act 1995 places a duty upon Local Authorities to conduct a review and assessment of air quality in their areas. The Air Quality Regulations 2010 prescribed air quality objectives for certain pollutants.