EU exit - make sure your business is compliant
The transition period is ending on 31 December 2020 and there will be no extension.
If you trade goods with the EU, the rules will change and there are actions to take now…
How do I do this? It’s easy- follow the steps below to make sure you are up to date with the latest guidance/ requirements:
- Register with the Growth Hub - sign up to their newsletters to ensure you receive regular bulletins
- Look at the transition checker tool on GOV.UK. This allows you to answer a series of questions and will provide you with a bespoke report for readiness actions.
- Sign up for the weekly email bulletin from BEIS – this covers business readiness updates and announcements.
- Make sure your staff have the right paperwork to remain in the UK to work see hiring from the EU.
Regardless of whether we reach a trade agreement with the EU, from 1 January 2021 new rules will apply for any trade with Europe. You will need to:
- make customs declarations for any goods moved between Great Britain and Europe;
- pay the relevant tariffs on any goods moved between Great Britain and Europe; and,
- follow new processes for moving any goods into Northern Ireland from Great Britain.
If you’re a VAT registered trader, you will also receive a letter in the next few days from HMRC explaining what you need to do to prepare.
A number of previously recorded webinars are available on demand now which may be helpful.
Department of International Trade are employing trade advisors to help support your business- any enquires around international trade/ EU exit please contact their triage system with the specifics and someone will be in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Somerset Chamber offer a customs training and export document checker.
If you import or export food to Europe it is likely that you will require input from Environmental Health Officers (i.e. for Export Health Certificates), please complete the import/export form and return to email@example.com as soon as possible (ideally by 1 December) so we can better understand how we will need to work together on this process.
You must have Adobe Reader version 8 or later to complete the form.
If you problems downloading the form above please email us with your business name and telephone number and an officer from Environmental Health will be in contact.