Register a food business
If you’re starting a new food business, it is important to get legal matters, such as registering your business, health and safety and food hygiene right. This will make it much easier for you to run your business well in the future.
You need to:
- register your food business at least 28 days before opening. You can do this by downloading the application form, printing, completing and uploading it using our general enquiries online form
You need to apply for a licence if you are:
- selling alcohol
- putting on public entertainment
- selling hot food and drink late at night
- selling food on the street
Information to help you with starting up:
- Safer Food, Better Business is a food safety management system developed by the Food Standards Agency (FSA). It can be downloaded free of charge and helps food businesses comply with the law. You can also purchase a copy from Somerset West and Taunton Council for a charge of £49.20.
- an Introduction to Health and Safety. This offers information including the law and issues relevant to your business