Skip to main content

Accidents at work

If you are an employer, self-employed or in charge of a work premises you must, by law, report certain accidents.

You must report accidents to the Health and Safety Executives (HSE) Incident Contact Centre.

Your information helps us to pinpoint risks and to investigate serious accidents. We can help you to take action to reduce the chance of injury, ill health and accidental loss.

The responsible person should complete the appropriate online form which will then be submitted directly to the RIDDOR database. You can download a copy for your records.

Our enforcement officers and the HSE are not an emergency service.

More information on when and how to report very serious or dangerous incidents can be found on the HSE website. If you want to report less serious incidents out of normal working hours, complete an online form.

HSE’s Riddor has more information about all aspects of reporting accidents in the workplace.

Laws and regulation

There is a legal requirement to report certain accidents in the workplace under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences (RIDDOR) Regulations 2013.