Land charges financial statement
The Local Authorities (England) (Charges for Property Searches) Regulations 2008.
Under Section 9 of this Regulation, Somerset West and Taunton Council is required to publish the total income and costs for the previous financial year.
Financial year 2018 – 2019
- Taunton Deane Borough Council - £208,831.80
- West Somerset Council - 74,040.34
Actual income received:
- Taunton Deane Borough Council - £229,734.00
- West Somerset Council - £62,313.00
Number of official searches:
- Taunton Deane Borough Council – 2549
- West Somerset Council – 888
Local land charges – fees and charges 2019 - 2020
Somerset West and Taunton Council has used these estimates to calculate the Local Land Charges fees for the financial year 1 April 2019 to 31st March 2020:
- Budgeted expenditure - £193,450
- Recharges - £143,550
- Budgeted income from land charges fees - £337,000.00
Number of searches
Search volumes have been forecast by taking actual search numbers for the previous 12 months and adjusted to produce a 12-month base data to forecast activity for the 2019-2020 financial year.
Number of official searches - 3450
The authority has undertaken a time recording exercise for each employee engaged in the discharge of its property search functions. It can demonstrate the cost of the service and the charges made for services in accordance with the regulations.
The fee/cost provision is continually monitored to ensure that the authority achieves a break even position as required by the regulations.