Most of our new tenants are given what's called an introductory tenancy. This is a probationary tenancy for 12 months, but it can be extended to 18 months.
During this time, you'll have fewer rights than a secure tenant and if you break the terms of your tenancy it'll be easier for us, as your landlord, to evict you.
It gives us the chance to make sure that you, and those living with you, keep to the rules. It also helps to make our housing estates safe and pleasant places. We’ll visit regularly to make sure you’re settling in. This gives you the chance to talk over any problems.
After this, your tenancy will automatically become secure unless we've taken action to end it.
As a Somerset West and Taunton tenant, you're a "secure" tenant. This means that you have the legal right to stay in your home as long as you keep to the conditions set out in your tenancy agreement.
- paying your rent on time
- keeping your home and garden, if you have one, clean and tidy
- being responsible for the behaviour of everyone living in your home
In return, we will:
- keep your home in good repair
- decorate the outside unless you get permission to do it yourself
- keep shared areas in good repair