Skip to main content

Recycle More - New blue recycling bags will be delivered from the 17 October.


If you are about to be made homeless or are homeless, we can advise you and give you information. You can see one of our team who can make a full assessment and see what’s available for you. You can do this by reporting your situation and a member of our team will get in touch with you.

Your housing status

Your tenancy could be at risk if:

  • you have rent arrears
  • there is a landlord dispute
  • your home is in poor condition
  • you display or take part in anti-social behaviour
  • you have been given notice to leave

You are at risk of homelessness if:

  • your personal relationship breaks down
  • valid notice has been issued by the landlord
  • you have been asked to leave by family or friends
  • you are sofa surfing
  • you are at risk of violence or harassment, or feel unsafe

Rough sleeping

You are at risk of rough sleeping if you are homeless and have no family or friends who can offer support and no money to find somewhere to live.

Open Door at 1A Mount Street in Taunton offers support and advice for people without a home

The Hope Centre in Minehead offers similar support in the West Somerset area

Rough sleeping is sleeping outdoors or in buildings or places not designed to live in. Some people could be at higher risk of rough sleeping if they are, or have:

  • ex-armed forces personnel
  • former care leavers
  • a history of psychiatric care
  • prison leavers or ex-offenders
  • substance misuse issues
  • former rough sleepers
  • learning difficulties (this could include Aspergers or ADHD)

This information helps us check how vulnerable you are and could find ways to extra housing and support options.

Use our general enquiries online form to report a rough sleeper or unauthorised encampment. 

The right to emergency housing

We may have to provide emergency housing if we think you qualify for homelessness assistance and priority need. We decide this by checking immigration status and health and well-being in relation to the Housing Act 1996. Further information about help from the council is available on the Shelter website.

Housing some 16 to 17 year olds will be the responsibility of social services under the terms of the Children Act 1989. This law puts a duty and a power on social services to provide accommodation for any child in need who is lost, abandoned or without a carer or person with parental responsibility and whose welfare maybe seriously prejudiced without accommodation or where to do so will safeguard the child's welfare. Further information about young people and homelessness is available from the Shelter website.

Referrals for housing

You can get assessments regarding your legal entitlements to accommodation by visiting us at:

Deane House, Belvedere Road, Taunton , TA1 1HE 
Phone: 0300 304 8000

West Somerset House, Killick Way, Williton, TA4 4QA

Initial housing assessments for all under 25 without dependents will be carried out by the P2i (Pathway to independence) prevention officer who is based at Deane House.

Disputing a decision

If you do not agree with a decision made about your rights to housing assistance, you can get independent advice from: