Gas servicing and maintenance
We have a legal duty to carry out a safety check to your home every year.
Setting your appointment time
We will write to you at least two weeks in advance of the date we need to service your appliances.
We would ask you to confirm by phone on 0300 304 8000 that the appointment is suitable for you.
If the appointment is not convenient we can arrange an alternative time.
Staying safe on your doorstep
All our staff and contractors carry identity cards to prove who they are.
If you are worried about the identity of a caller, shut the door, do not let them in and call us on 0300 304 8000.
Guide to gas servicing and maintenance
Before we start the work in your home, there are a number of things that you can do:
- clear stairways and passageways
- remove all valuable items, including electrical goods and anything that could break easily, to a safer place
- switched off gas fires for at least one hour before the engineer arrives
We appreciate everyone is different and recognise that you may need extra support.
If anyone in your home has a disability or any other needs, please let us know and we will aim to meet you and your family’s needs with the minimum disruption.
During the work
You will always have access to your home. Sometimes our engineers may need to restrict certain areas, so please work with us. We will ensure your safety at all times.
After the work
The gas engineer will explain what work has been carried out and agree with you that all work is complete. You will be asked to complete a satisfaction survey via the engineers Personal Digital Assistant (PDA) or we can leave a satisfaction survey and prepaid envelope to complete and send back to us. It’s your chance to let us know how things went and it helps us make sure we are delivering high standards of work.
The Council's duty to you
- will understand your needs and respect your culture
- won’t start work before 8am
- can work weekends if you agree
- will do our utmost to keep appointments and keep you informed of any delays
- will let you know in plenty of time if we cannot keep our appointment
- will take care of your home and use dust sheets to protect your property
- will always show you proof of identification
- won’t smoke or use inappropriate or bad language in your home
- will keep your home secure at all times
- will clean up after ourselves
- will be polite and consider your wishes
How you can help us
- give us the access we need to your home at the times we agree with you
- reply as quickly as possible to letters asking to make appointments with you and keep to the times we agree
- let us know as soon as you can if you cannot keep the appointment
- tell us as soon as possible if your circumstances change
- be polite and considerate to our engineers
- refrain from smoking while our staff are working in your property, and where possible do not smoke 30 minutes before the arrival of our staff to ensure a safe working environment