Skip to main content

Improving your home

You can make improvements to your home, but you must get permission first. This can be done in writing, as a request to:

Housing Surveyors
Somerset West and Taunton Council
Deane House
Belvedere Road
Taunton, TA1 1HE.

Alternatively, the request can be sent by e-mail to the following mailbox:

The types of improvements you can do include:

  • installing a new bathroom or shower
  • installing of a new kitchen
  • change doors (internal or external)
  • change or remove a gas fire
  • removing walls
  • putting up a conservatory
  • altering lighting and power circuits
  • changing fencing
  • building ponds

You will be responsible for maintaining the improvements you make.

You need permission for installing a satellite dish. 

You’re not allowed to open up old open fires or install a log burner.