Skip to main content

Housing immigration inspections

If you are acting as a sponsor for someone who is making an immigration application to come to the UK, you will be aware that the immigration authority ask for proof that the accommodation planned to be moved into is of a suitable standard and that it will not be made overcrowded by their arrival.

The immigration authority ask that this work is carried out by a suitably qualified officer. We are able to carry out these checks for you, if you live in the Somerset West and Taunton area, using our qualified officers. This is a service we don’t have to provide but we do provide it, so a fee is payable for the inspection and a letter to be produced. The fee is currently £212 for a 10 working day service or £312 for a fast track 5 working day service, both inclusive of VAT. This is non-refundable.

If you require this service, please complete the Immigration application form and return it to us along with the fee and a copy of the letter from the High Commission/Embassy where an application for immigration has been made. Information on how and where you can return it and how you can pay the fee is all on the application form.

It is important that you accurately fill out the application form otherwise there is a possibility that the immigration authority will not accept the letter we will produce to include with your application.

If you are in a rented home, you and your family must have exclusive use of the property to live in to apply for a housing immigration inspection. You will also need to provide the annual landlord gas safety record with your application too.

Once we receive your application form, copy of the letter from the High Commission/Embassy and, for those in a rented home, a gas safety record, then we will arrange an inspection within 10 working days. We will need to look around the whole property during the inspection. If we are not able to access the whole property then we will not be able to produce the letter to include with the immigration application.

At the inspection we will also require the following:-

  • if you own the property, we will need to see the title deeds, mortgage statement or correspondence from your mortgage provider when we visit
  • if you rent the property, then we will need to see a current tenancy agreement and a utility bill in your name for the property in question when we visit

Once the inspection is finished, if the house is suitable to live in and will not become overcrowded, then we will supply you with a letter to confirm this. This is for you to submit with your immigration application.

If the house is unsuitable to live in and/or will be overcrowded, then we will send you a letter that explains the problems.