Skip to main content

Saving energy

To save energy, lower your fuel bills and keep your home warm, contact the Home Energy Team at The Centre for Sustainable Energy (CSE) on 0800 038 5730 or email They provide free, impartial local advice about energy improvements, as well as help with improving heating, lowering fuel bills and receiving the correct benefits.

The Centre for Sustainable Energy website has a wealth of information about all aspects of energy efficiency and improvements to your home, including availability of financial assistance.

Grant and Loans to Improve Your Home Energy Efficiency

Use the GOV.UK Energy Grants calculator to answer some questions about your home and see if you can get a grant.

Find energy grants and ways to save energy in your home 

Energy Company Obligation (ECO) grants

Through ECO grants you could get some or all of the costs towards:

  • loft or wall insulation
  • installing a more efficient boiler
  • boiler insulation
  • draught proofing your house
  • double glazing
  • a different heating system
  • solar panels

ECO Grants are funded by the major energy suppliers in the UK such as British Gas, EDF, e.on, Scottish Power and SSE.


In a direct response to the Climate Emergency, the District Councils in Somerset have jointly signed an EcoFlex Statement, declaring their intent to improve energy efficiency in their areas.

Energy Company Obligation (ECO) - is a requirement placed on energy companies over a certain size to help improve domestic energy performance of the homes of those vulnerable to the cold or on low incomes.  In the ECO3 phase there is a new additional facility called Flexible Eligibility.  This is where the Councils can set criteria to direct assistance towards local private sector homes at risk of fuel poverty, but falling outside of the normal rules of ECO (usually qualifying benefits).

Following broad guidance from the Department for Business Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS), the Councils can access Flexible Eligibility funds on the production of this Statement of Intent.  This allows the Councils to set qualifying criteria to target local residents at risk of fuel poverty.  Residents meeting these agreed criteria, subject to the appropriate Council issuing a signed Declaration and a favourable survey report, may be assumed eligible by Energy Companies for ECO funded energy efficiency improvements.  The statement provides more information.


Owners and landlords can apply for a loan to pay for property improvements including energy saving measures, renewable energy technology and bulk buy fuel. You will find more information on Lendology CIC website or visit our loans for repairs and improvements page.

Private Renting

Private rented homes require an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) and should reach a minimum energy performance rating of E or better. These requirements have applied to new tenancies since April 2018. From April 2020 they now apply to existing tenancies as well.

To find out more information, visit Devon and Somerset Trading Standards website for more information.

Guidance for landlords is available on the website and provides full details on the requirements, penalties of up to £5,000 and registering an exemption. To find out if a property is exempt you can search the register.

To get a new EPC, find an assessor or to find out if your property has an EPC, visit Getting a new energy certificate.

If you live in a rented home and are concerned about your EPC rating, heating, draughty windows or lack of insulation, visit our disrepair page for more information.

Green Directory

As part of the Somerset Retrofit Accelerator project, this directory has been put together to help you find local businesses and services to help you with your eco retrofit project.

You can search local businesses for your retrofit project including architects, construction companies, insulation and renewable energy installers, Learn about energy efficiency and low carbon retrofit through the Retrofit Resources and find out what some Somerset homeowners have already done to retrofit their homes, along with other news, in the Retrofit Stories.

If you are a business working to improve the energy efficiency of Somerset’s housing stock why not submit your own listing and join the Somerset Green Directory.