Skip to main content

Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms

If you are a tenant privately renting, your home must have a smoke detector on every floor of the house where there is living accommodation. Heat detectors are not a replacement for smoke alarms.

If you live with your landlord or are a lodger, smoke alarms are not required.

If you home has a solid fuel burning appliance, such as a coal fire or wood burner, and the room is used as living accommodation then your landlord must fit a carbon monoxide alarm in the room where the appliance is.

Living accommodation is a room where the main purpose is living or you spend a significant amount of time. This does include bathrooms, shower rooms and toilets.

A landlord must make sure the alarms are in working order at the start of each new tenancy. After this, it is your responsibility as a tenant to test the alarms and ensure they continue to work. It is recommended that you test them every month and advise the landlord if any batteries or detector/alarms need replacing.

If your landlord has not fitted a smoke detector or carbon monoxide alarm when they should have or you have tested the alarms and they are no longer working, then you must write (email, letter or text) to your landlord to report the issue so they can arrange to fix it. Chase up the repair with them if they don’t take any action. If your landlord does not fix it then report it to us with a copy of what you have sent your landlord and we can follow it up. Use our general enquiries online form to report to us.

If you are a tenant in a House in Multiple Occupation, then your landlord has to meet extra requirements such as fire doors, fire extinguishers and blankets.