Case Manager – Debt and Benefit
Job Ref: CMD&B
Location: Taunton and locality base (various Somerset West and Taunton offices)
Salary: Grade F £26,999 to £28,785 per annum
Hours: Full time, 37 hours per week
Closing date for application forms: 24 August 2020 at 9am
Interviews: w/c 7 September 2020
Somerset West and Taunton Council owns and manages 5,700 social rented homes. Being a Case Manager within our Rent Recovery team offers an exciting opportunity to work within the Housing directorate. As a key part of the Rent Recovery team, you will be responsible for helping our tenants maximum their income and ensure they are claiming all the benefits they are entitled to.
We are looking for an organised, self-motivated person who can work to tight deadlines, with excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the necessary skills, abilities and behaviours to be able to work flexibly as service demands require.
You will be expected to:
- Deliver an efficient, proactive and customer-focused debt and benefit service.
- Provide a responsive service, which has a positive impact on Somerset West and Taunton customers, in accordance with Somerset West and Taunton’s established policies and procedures.
- Act as primary officer for tenants to contact
- Undertake daily contact with tenants and their representatives concerning any aspect of debt and welfare benefits, including home visits, telephone enquiries, office interviews, taking payments by telephone, debt counselling signposting and running drop-in surgeries.
- Maintain an up-to-date working knowledge of relevant legislation in order to make informed decisions as to the appropriate action, including legal remedies.
- Work closely with our partners (internal and external), ensuring that necessary protocols are complied with.
Applicants for this role should:
- Have an excellent knowledge of welfare benefits, i.e. Universal Credit, Housing Benefit, personal independent payments, Pension credit, etc.
- Have proven experience of working within a welfare benefits service.
- Monitor the progress of claims and resolve any issues which may arise.
- Promote the use of digital claims and communications.
- Demonstrate an understanding of rent recovery and collection.
- Be able to work with partner agencies to resolve complex benefit cases.
Empathy and sound judgement are essential in this role, as is the ability to be a good team player. We are looking for applicants who can demonstrate an adaptable and flexible approach, a positive attitude and an ability to work on your own initiative.
For more information on the post, please contact HR on 0300 304 8000.
Benefits of working with the Council
The Authority offers flexible and agile working, with excellent technology to support this. The council offices provide a pleasant, comfortable and modern working environment and a fleet of pool cars for use on official business. The Council offer a generous annual leave entitlement as well as an option to purchase additional annual leave. Other benefits include the Local Government Pension Scheme, payment of professional subscription if required for the role, an Employee Assistance Programme, access to My Staff Shop which include salary sacrifice schemes, discounts and deals. Employees also are eligible for free use of the gym and swimming pool during off peak times and discounted gym and swimming membership at peak times. A relocation allowance may apply if eligible.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please view our website and download and complete the Application Form and Recruitment Monitoring Forms in line with the Job Description.
Completed Application Forms and Recruitment Monitoring Forms should be emailed to email@example.com quoting the job reference number.
Please note we do not accept CVs.
Job description and application form