Environmental Health Officer/Technical Officer Private Sector Housing
Salary: £27,741 – £29,577 (Grade F)
Contract: 1 Permanent & 1 Fixed Term (18 months)
Location: Taunton (Deane House and other offices as required)
Hours: Full time, 37 hours per week
Job Ref: Private Sector Housing (permanent) EHPSH
Job Ref: Private Sector Housing HMO’s (18-month fixed term) EHPSH18
Closing date for application forms 12 noon Wednesday 11 August 2021
Interviews w/c 16 August 2021
Somerset West and Taunton Council’s Regulatory Services team is a busy, multi-disciplinary team covering public health, environmental protection, private sector housing and licensing. An exciting opportunity for enthusiastic, hardworking and experienced Environmental Health professionals has become available within the Private Sector Housing team.
Both roles will be expected to be involved in Houses in Multiple Occupancy (HMO) licencing and the investigation and enforcement of private sector housing complaints under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System.
The successful candidate will be suitably qualified and experienced, with evidence of having completed training on Understanding, Applying and Enforcement of the Housing Health and Safety Rating System.
You will need to be organised, self-motivated and an excellent team player. A good knowledge of relevant legislation and any associated codes of practice/guidance is required for these roles, and experience of inspecting a range of premises and investigating complaints is essential.
You must have good verbal and written communication skills and be competent to deal with complex case work, taking enforcement action where necessary. We are looking for applicants who can demonstrate an adaptable and flexible approach, a positive attitude and an ability to work on your own initiative.
We are seeking 1 full time permanent post to work across private sector housing and 1 full time, 18-month fixed term contract posts to lead on the role out of our HMO licensing project.
All candidates must have a full, clean driving licence.
Benefits of working for the Council
- The Council offers flexible and agile working, with excellent technology to support this.
- The Council Offices provide a pleasant, comfortable and modern working environment and a fleet of pool cars for use on official business.
- The Council offer a generous annual leave entitlement as well as an option to purchase additional annual leave.
- Other benefits include the Local Government Pension Scheme, payment of professional subscription if required for the role, an Employee Assistance Programme, access to My Staff Shop which include salary sacrifice schemes, discounts and deals.
- Employees also are eligible for free use of the gym and swimming pool during off peak times and discounted gym and swimming membership at peak times.
- A relocation allowance may apply if eligible.
If you would like more information, or have any questions about applying, please contact email@example.com
How to apply
To apply for this role, please view our website and download and complete the Application Form and Recruitment Monitoring Forms in line with the Job Description.
Completed Application Forms and Recruitment Monitoring Forms should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the job reference.
Please note we do not accept CVs.
Job description and application form