Rough Sleeper Initiative - Substance Misuse Navigator
Salary: £28,226 - £30,095 (Grade F)
Hours: 37 Hours Per Week
Contract: Fixed Term till 31st March 2025
Job Reference: RSISMN
Closing date for application forms: Thursday 18th August 2022 at 9am
Interview: Week commencing Monday 5th September 2022
Working across Somerset West and Taunton, as a Substance Misuse Navigator you will deliver a high quality, person-centred service to customers who have history of substance misuse.
In this role your main objective will be to support customers to move away from rough sleeping and in to settled secure accommodation. You will empower and enable customers to access the support they need to remain off the streets. You will achieve this by providing long-term, personalised support which is not time-limited and is flexible enough to meet the changing and complex needs of this customer group.
You will work closely with colleagues in the Rough Sleeping Initiative (RSI) team and the Housing Options Team to support individuals experiencing rough sleeping to move into suitable accommodation, providing support to minimise abandonment, sustain accommodation and ensure that individuals do not return to rough sleeping.
You will be a calm, organised and forward-thinking individual with experience supporting people with complex needs and who are, or have been, rough sleeping.
You will have proven experience of individual customer work in an addictions or social care setting with adults and sound knowledge of primary, secondary and other outreach settings and alcohol and health-related issues.
An excellent communicator, both verbal and written, with strong interpersonal, networking and relationship-building skills, you will also have a flexible, professional and structured approach to your work and actively support the introduction of new ideas, methods and processes to your working practices.
An energetic and confident self-starter, you may have a qualification or experience in health/social care, youth and community work (e.g., NVQ Level 4 or above, DipSW, Mental Health Nursing, Counselling, Addiction Studies). Alternatively, we will consider candidates with experience of working in the substance misuse field with a commitment to complete NVQ Level 4 Health and Social Care.
The successful candidate will:
- Work as an integral member of the RSI team providing interventions and connecting customers to other services which provide support for substance misuse
- Contribute to the development of an innovative recovery programme which will offer a range of support to address what matters to the customer e.g., housing, benefits, welfare support etc
- Deliver practical, bespoke interventions both in person and through a wide network of partner agencies that support people away from substance misuse and towards a safer, healthier and more productive lifestyle
- Utilise a multi-agency approach to improve the outcomes and life chances for adults experiencing multiple challenges including drugs and alcohol dependency and reduce the impact upon emergency services and local communities
- Form strong professional relationships with local hospitals and work closely with them to identify individuals who may benefit from the Navigator service
- Be responsible for engaging new individuals onto the service by working closely in partnership with treatment and recovery providers and with the recovery community
- Support customers through community outreach; build strong trusting and respectful relationships that enable them to regain independence and control over their decisions
- Connect customers to existing community support (of their choice) and support as necessary to maximise engagement
- Hold a varied caseload, respecting customer confidentiality and adhering to GDPR principles
- Assist with the on-going development of the service model to ensure that customers gain the maximum benefit from Navigator interventions
- Provide a consistent support role to the individual to navigate through all the various services but ultimately advocating for the individual where they need to, and to support the individual to become independent
- Undertake sign posting and referrals to all community and voluntary support services
- Ensure administrative systems such as service user forms, databases and contact files are kept fully up-to-date and secure, in line with the Data Protection Act
- Collect and record evidence of project outcomes, to assist with the evaluation of the Navigator role
- Actively research and network with other relevant organisations working in the local area, building personal and strong partnerships with them, ensuring you are able to offer as diverse sign posting options as possible
- Engage and recruit Navigator volunteers who may have been previous service users who have recovered and are able to offer peer support for new customers
- Work flexibly and cohesively with the wider RSI team
- In this role you will be required, on occasion, to assist the RSI team with activities such as but not limited to statutory and spotlight street counts and any other area where the service demands it. There will be, on occasion, some working of unsocial hours.
Please note that the successful candidate may be required to undergo a DBS process.
This role requires the post holder to hold a valid full Car driving licence (Category B) with no more than six points on it.
For more information on the post, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Benefits of working with the Council
- Council offers flexible and agile working, with excellent technology to support this.
- The Council Offices provide a pleasant, comfortable and modern working environment and a fleet of pool cars for use on official business.
- The Council offer a generous annual leave entitlement as well as an option to purchase additional annual leave.
- Other benefits include the Local Government Pension Scheme, payment of professional subscription if required for the role, an Employee Assistance Programme, access to My Staff Shop which include salary sacrifice schemes, discounts and deals.
- Employees also are eligible for free use of the gym and swimming pool during off peak times and discounted gym and swimming membership at peak times.
- A relocation allowance may apply if eligible.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please view our website and download and complete the Application Form and Recruitment Monitoring Forms in line with the Job Description.
Completed Application Forms and Recruitment Monitoring Forms should be emailed to email@example.com quoting the job reference.
Please note we do not accept CVs.
Job Description & Application Form