Apply for a premises licence
You need a premises licence if you:
- sell alcohol by retail
- provide regulated entertainment
- provide entertainment facilities
- provide late night refreshment (selling hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am)
- represent a qualifying club and supply alcohol to a club member, or a guest of a club member
People over 18 can apply for a premises licence.
Note: It can take at least 2 months to process and issue a premises licence.
What you must do
Before you apply, we strongly recommend that you contact us and the Police for further advice. You can contact us using the general enquiries form, and the Area Licensing Practitioner for Avon and Somerset Police on 07889655900 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
You must complete the application form and return it with the right fee and a plan of the premises, to a scale of 1:100 - details premises licence application plan. You must send copies of the application to the responsible authorities. You must display a public notice on the premises and in a local newspaper, advising people who live near the premises that you have made an application and that they can see a copy at Deane House.
If you want to supply alcohol you will need a person holding a personal licence.
When we get your application there is a 28 day consultation before can we make a decision.
Any objection must be linked to one or more of the four licensing objectives:
- prevention of crime and disorder
- public safety
- prevention of public nuisance
- protection of children from harm
If we receive valid representations and can’t reach an agreement with you, your application will be heard by the Licensing Sub-Committee. The hearing must take place within 20 working days of the end of the consultation.
The application fee is based on the non-domestic rateable value (NDRV) of the premises: The NDRV will fall into one of five bands:
- Band A: between £0 and £4,300
- Band B: between £4,301 and £33,000
- Band C: between £33,001 and £87,000
- Band D: between £87,001 and £125,000
- Band E: £125,001 and over
The fees for each band are as follows:
- Band A: £100.00 for the application and then a £70 annual fee each year, if the licence is granted
- Band B: £190.00 for the application, £180 annual fee
- Band C: £315.00 for the application, plus £295 annual fee
- Band D: £450.00 for the application, plus £320 annual fee
- Band E: £ £635.00 for the application, plus £350 annual fee
Laws and regulation
Premises licences are granted under the Licensing Act 2003.
Share this page