Skip to main content

Minor variation to a premises licence

If you hold a premises licence and want to make small changes you can apply for a minor variation.

You can use this application to:

  • make small changes to the structure or layout of a premises
  • add the provision of late night refreshment or regulated entertainment, such as performance of plays or film exhibitions)
  • small changes to licensing hours (see alcohol)
  • amend or remove licence conditions, such as any which might be considered out of date or unenforceable, or add new conditions

You cannot use this application to:

  • add the retail or supply of alcohol to a licence
  • extend licensing hours for the sale or supply of alcohol at any time between 11pm and 7am
  • increase the amount of time on any day during which alcohol may be sold by retail or supplied
  • extend the period for which a time limited licence or certificate has effect
  • transfer the licence or certificate from one premises to another, or vary substantially the premises to which it relates
  • specify, in a premises licence, an individual as the premises supervisor
  • add the sale by retail or supply of alcohol as an activity authorised by a licence or certificate
  • dis-apply the mandatory conditions relating to a designated premises supervisor (there is a separate process by which community premises can apply for this)

What you must do

Before you apply, we strongly recommend that you contact us and the Police for further advice. You can contact us using the general enquiries form, and the Area Licensing Practitioner for Avon and Somerset Police on 07889 655900 or

If you are applying for a variation to the layout of your premises, you must include a revised plan with the application. You should be aware that your application is likely to be refused if the proposed variation could:

  • increase the capacity for drinking alcohol on the premises
  • affect access between the public part of the premises and the rest of the premises or the street or public way, eg block emergency exits or routes to emergency exits
  • result in an increase in noise

You must display a public notice on the premises for 10 working days, starting on the day after we have received your application.

Once we get your application, a 10 working day consultation starts. Representations against your application can be made during this time. These must be linked to one or more of the four licensing objectives:

  • prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • prevention of public nuisance
  • protection of children from harm

We will also consult with other responsible authorities eg the Police, if we are unsure about the impact the proposed variation will have on the four above mentioned objectives.

If we get valid representations we must take these into account before making our decision, which will happen within 15 working days from the date the application was made. Unlike other licence applications, there will be no hearing.

If your application is rejected, you may be directed to make a full variation application instead.

The application fee is £89.

Laws and regulation

Premises licences are granted under the Licensing Act 2003.