Transfer a premises licence

If you want to take control of a licensed premises by becoming the licence holder, you will need to apply to transfer the licence into your name.

A premises licence holder can be one or more individuals, a business or an organisation. You must be aged 18 or over.

If you want the application to start immediately from when we receive it, you must tick the right box in part three of the form.

The cost of the application is £23.

If you also need to change your Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) see change a designated premises supervisor

What happens next

When we get your application, we begin a 14 day notice period in which the Police may object to the application. We will issue you a new licence when this time has finished, as long as there are no objections.

Note: We will contact you if there are any unpaid annual licences fees and once the transfer application is completed, you will become responsible for payment. Failure to pay the annual fee can result in suspension of the licence so it’s important you discuss licence fees with the outgoing licence holder before taking on the business.

Laws and regulation

You are required to make this application under the Licensing Act 2003