Skip to main content

Vary a premises licence

If you hold a premises licence and want make changes you must apply for a variation.

You can use this application to:

  • add licensable activities not already allowed
  • remove or alter conditions on the premises licence
  • alter the plan of the premises that the premises licence relates to

What you must do

Before you apply, we strongly recommend that you contact us for further advice. You can contact us using the general enquiries form.

If you want to add the supply of alcohol to your licence you will need to identify someone as a designated premises supervisor (DPS) and they must complete the DPS consent form, and upload to along with your application.

You must display a public notice on the premises on the day after we have received your application. You must also publish a notice in a local newspaper within 10 working days of us receiving your application.

Once we get your application, a 28 day consultation starts. Representations against your application can be made during this time. These must be linked to:

  • prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • prevention of public nuisance
  • protection of children from harm

If we get valid representations and can’t reach an agreement with you, your application will be decided by the licensing sub-committee. This is made up of elected councillors. The hearing must take place within 20 working days, starting the day after the 28 consultation ends.Allow at least two months for your application to be processed.

The application fee is based on the non-domestic rateable value (NDRV) of the premises: The NDRV will fall into one of five bands:

  • Band A: between £0 and £4,300
  • Band B: between £4,301 and £33,000
  • Band C: between £33,001 and £87,000
  • Band D: between £87,001 and £125,000
  • Band E: £125,001 and over

The fees for each band are as follows:

  • Band A: £100.00
  • Band B: £190.00
  • Band C: £315.00
  • Band D: £450.00
  • Band E: £ £635.00

Laws and regulation

Premises licences are granted under the Licensing Act 2003.