Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19) information and advice

Temporary event notice

Coronavirus update

Please be aware that, at this moment in time, only certain types of outdoor public gatherings involving more than 30 people are permitted by law in the UK, during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Private gatherings of more than 30 people are not permitted.

Generally speaking, the types of gatherings that are permitted are ones which:

  • Take place on a premises that is operated by a business, charity, benevolent or philanthropic institution or a public body as a visitor attraction; or
  • Are part of a premises used for the operation of a business, charitable, benevolent or philanthropic institution or a public body.

In addition to the above, the following also applies:

  • The gathering can only be organised by a business, charitable, benevolent or philanthropic institution, a public body or political body;
  • the person responsible for organising the gathering has carried out a risk assessment which would satisfy the requirements of regulation 3 of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999, whether or not the gathering organiser is subject to those Regulations; and
  • the gathering organiser has taken all reasonable measures to limit the risk of transmission of the coronavirus, taking into account the risk assessment mentioned above.

You should not submit a TEN if the gathering is not permitted.

Temporary event notice

If you’re planning an event that involves activities needing a licence, and your premises (a premises is defined as any place) is not already licensed, a temporary event notice (TEN) may be needed.

Licensable activities include providing:

  • regulated entertainment - plays, films, live music, recorded music, dancing
  • late night refreshment (the sale of hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am)
  • sale/supply of alcohol

Events that will require a TEN include:

  • extending the drinking hours at an existing licensed premises
  • selling alcohol at a premises that is not licensed, have a bar at a village fete or barbecue
  • having a live band and DJ at a premises that is not licensed

If you’re a licensed premises, a TEN may be needed if you wish to extend your hours, add licensing activities or extend your licensed area.


TENs have a number of limitations. These include:

  • no more than 499 people on the premises at any one time for each event
  • events can last up to 168 hours (7 days)
  • each premises can hold no more than 15 temporary event notice events per calendar year
  • the maximum total period covered by a temporary event notice at any premises is 21 days per year
  • anyone over the age of 18 can submit a maximum of five TENs per year and personal licence holders can submit a maximum of 50 TENs per year

Apply for a temporary event notice

You must submit your TEN application at least ten working days before the event or for a late TEN at least five working days' notice. There are further limitations for a late TEN. You can only serve two late notices in a single calendar year and these will count against the 5 you can have per calendar year or 50 if you hold a personal licence.

If your notice is received in time, we’ll send you an acknowledged copy. You will also receive a receipt for the fee.

You will be authorised to hold your event. This is unless we’re contacted by the Police or Environmental Protection if they have concerns regarding crime and disorder or public nuisance.

To apply, you will need to complete the Temporary event notice form

Then use our online form below to submit the completed form and any other documents you want to include. You will also need to pay the fee using a debit or credit card.

Laws and regulation

You are required to serve a Temporary Event Notice under the Licensing Act 2003.