Skip to main content

Unlicensed boarding or breeding of animals

Anyone boarding dogs and cats and charging for it must have a licence. If someone is running a dog breeding business from home they must have a licence.

If you know or suspect someone is boarding dogs and cats for others, or breeding dogs without a licence you can report it to us by using the complaint about a licensed person, vehicle or premises online form. 

We will investigate reports to check if the premises has a licence.

Laws and regulation

Animal boarding, dog breeding, pet shops, riding establishments and animals kept and/or trained for exhibition are all regulated by The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018. Zoos are regulated by The Zoo Licensing Act 1981 and dangerous wild animals The Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976.