Skip to main content

Holding a street party

You’ll need to get in touch with us if you plan to hold a street party to celebrate a major national event.

Parties should be:

  • for residents and neighbours only
  • publicity only to residents (no external publicity)
  • organised and funded by residents
  • held in single or linked couple of streets
  • without any structures such as stages being installed

Street parties should be fun and enjoyed by the community. We hope to do our bit by smoothing the path for community groups and neighbourhoods planning an outdoor get-together.

Anyone can apply to hold a small private street party or small community event.

Organising small, private street parties is very simple and generally does not include activities that need a licence, such as the sale of alcohol or food.

You can download an Application for a Temporary Road Closure Order for a Special Event and once you have completed the application form please return it to us.

Send the completed form to:

PO Box 866

Plan ahead

The number one tip for holding a party is to plan early, think about what you want to achieve and get in touch with us at least six weeks in advance, but preferably a little more.

If your event needs a road closure we’ll take the information from your application form and process it. You don’t need to submit a separate form for this.

There is no fee for the combined application for a street party and road closure. If we think any extra permissions are needed, such as a temporary event notice, the normal fee would apply.