Skip to main content

Your local council and this website will be changing from the 1 April 2023 - Read more about the changes here

Private hire vehicle licence

Private hire vehicles carry out pre-booked journeys only. This includes contracted work like school runs. They can’t be hailed by the public, or picked up from taxi ranks.

If you drive a private hire vehicle, it must be licensed by us. It can take up to 14 days to issue a vehicle licence.

You can download an application for the grant of a vehicle licence form or application for the renewal of a vehicle licence. It can take up to 14 days to issue a vehicle licence.

You must also submit the supporting documents:

  • insurance certificate
  • V5C Vehicle Registration document
  • a valid MOT certificate from any VOSA approved testing station
  • a compliance test certificate issued by one of the Council's nominated testing stations (see application form) within the last 30 days

Your private hire vehicle must be no more than seven years old when you apply. We will consider an older vehicle if it is special, eg a classic car.

Your vehicle must also comply with the hackney carriage vehicle conditions, outlined in the Taxi Handbook for vehicles operating in the former Taunton Deane Borough Council area.

If your vehicle will operate in the former West Somerset Council area it must comply with details laid out in the Hackney Carriage/Private Hire Policy.

Passenger carrying vehicles that have nine or more seats must be licensed as a Public Service Vehicle on the website.

  • The cost to apply for the grant of a private hire vehicle licence is £134
  • The cost to apply for the renewal of a private hire vehicle licence is £122

We’ll issue you a licence when we are satisfied with your application. You’ll get a paper licence and licence plate. You must display the plate on the rear of the vehicle so that can be seen clearly.

The licence will last for one year. We will write to you two months before the licence runs out to remind you to renew it.

Anyone who drives the vehicle must apply for a taxi driver licence.