SWT launches new fund for low-income households
01 September 2022 : Council news, Community, Partnership working
Somerset West and Taunton (SWT) Council has today (Thursday, 1 September), launched a short-term Hardship Fund for low-income families struggling to afford household essentials.
This fund is not available for emergency food, fuel or energy payments, as this support is available via foodbanks and Central Government support.
To be eligible for this one-off grant, applicants must:
- Be a permanent resident in Somerset West and Taunton
- Be over the age of 16 and living independently of parents or carers
- Be on a low income-threshold, to be determined on assessment
- Be unable to pay for essentials due to lack of sufficient funds
- Have exhausted recourse to:
- Local assistance schemes
- Surviving winter fund
- Any other assistance scheme to which they may be eligible
SWT will monitor the fund’s outgoings to ensure financial support is distributed proportionately across West Somerset and Taunton.
To apply, households within the Taunton locality should complete Citizens’ Advice Taunton’s online form at:
Households within the West Somerset locality should complete West Somerset Advice’s online form at:
When applying for this grant, applicants should note that the following evidence will also be required:
- Proof of identity
- Proof of age
- Proof of residency in Somerset West and Taunton
- Proof of income in the form of a bank statement (no older than the previous month)
- Proof of need – what the grant is needed for
Payments are expected to be made a minimum of two weeks from the date on which proof of address and income is received.