Business rates open data
The data provides details of all live business rates accounts and also indicates whether the premises concerned are occupied or vacant and whether any exemption or relief has been awarded (correct at the date of compilation).
Our data is provided under the terms of the Open Government Licence.
Why we publish this type of data
This dataset is produced in response to an increasing number of FOI requests for details concerning business rates.
We will publish this information at the beginning of each quarter (April, July. October and January). The provision of updated information before the next planned update will be exempted under Section 22 of the FOI Act as it is information that we hold with the intention of publishing at some future date, as specified.
- property reference
- business type
- RV (rateable value)
- whether premises are occupied or void SBR –small business rate relief (where applicable)
- SBR amount – the amount of any small business relief awarded
- exemption – any exemption applicable
- exemption amount
- mandatory relief award type (where applicable)
- mandatory relief amount
- discretionary relief award type (where applicable)
- discretionary relief amount
- additional relief (where applicable)
- additional relief amount
- property address of rateable premises
We apply the following FOI exemptions in relation to this information:
- we will not include customer account numbers within the data supplied. This information is often used to validate identity and is not in the public domain. Making this information available to others, not connected with the account, would provide an opportunity for a crime to be committed eg theft or fraud. We believe the public interest would be best served by engaging the exemption under Section 31 of the Act as disclosure of the information would be likely to prejudice the prevention of crime by enabling or encouraging the commission of offences
- we will also not include the names of individuals, or what we believe to be their home addresses, within these files in recognition of our responsibilities under the Data Protection Act 2018 in relation to sharing personal information. We rely on the exemption provided by Section 40 (2) of the FOI Act in this regard
- we will not include business correspondence addresses and will rely upon the exemption provided by Section 21 of the FOI Act, as such information is reasonably available by another means for example, through internet searches of Companies House records, websites for the businesses concerned or by contacting the business by telephone using public telephone records
- any FOI requests received in relation to these business rate matters received prior to the next planned publication date will be refused using the exemption under Section 22 of the FOI Act as it is information that we hold with the intention of publishing at some future (pre-scheduled) date
CSV - which can be used with most spreadsheet style programs.
If you have queries with any of the information listed in the data, please use the general enquiries online form to contact us.