Trees and tree protection
If you are planning to do any work on a tree you must check if you are allowed to. Some trees are protected and you risk a penalty if you do work without the right permission.
Tree preservation order
- by law, we have to preserve and protect trees and can make tree preservation orders (TPOs) on trees and woodland
- you must have our written permission to carry out any work on a tree protected by a TPO
- you must apply to us if you want to do work on trees with a preservation order
Trees in a conservation area
- all trees in conservation areas are protected, except trees with trunks less than 7.5cm in diameter (measured 1.5m above the ground)
- you must apply to us to do work on trees in a conservation area
We have 8 weeks to process TPO applications and 6 weeks for Conservation Area notifications. In many cases a decision is reached well before the deadline. There is no cost.
Check for tree preservation order
You can search for a tree preservation order in the Taunton Deane area using the online search. If you are enquiring about a tree in the West Somerset area, use the general enquiries online form.