Spotlight on food and drink
Support for food and drink sector
Somerset West and Taunton and Sedgemoor District Councils have teamed up to design and deliver a tailored support package to local businesses within the food and drink sector.
A mapping and research exercise was undertaken in 2021 highlighted some sector specific needs and issues that local businesses face - from labelling and food safety regulations to training and supply chain disruptions.
The councils have partnered up with experts in the sector to deliver specific business support to address these issues; they will range from expert advice, free training and ultimately access to a small amount of financial assistance.
Free business advice
Our partner, Heart of the South West Growth Hub is providing local food and drink businesses with access to free training programme; Thrive.
Thrive offers business review meeting, one to one sessions and webinars. A business can access up to 12 hours of support. Register on the Heart of the South West Growth Hub website.
Expert advice and learning
A number of specialist training sessions will be held over the coming months. Topics will cover labelling and allergens and supplying the public sector among others. Our current plans include:
- Intellectual Property workshop - keep an eye on the Growth Hub website for further information.
- Throughout the Autumn –free events run by the Food Works see Food Works for more details
Meet the Expert food and drink event
Where- J25 The Holiday Inn
When- Thursday 9 February 2023
Time – 10am to 1pm- drop in
What’s on offer:
- Expert and Industry specialist workshops – Photography, Intellectual Property, Allergens and Food Labelling booking in advance required on Meet the Experts event Eventbrite
- Technical and legal advice- Environmental Health and Trading Standards Officers
- Networking- come and meet other businesses and create your own new supply chains and markets! Please bring literature and marketing materials
We have also teamed up with the Heart of the South West Trading Standards and will be offering subsidised expert's time to those that sign up to the Growth Hub's Thrive programme. Visit Devon and Somerset Trading Standards to learn about what support they can offer.
Please note there is a limited number of sessions available and they will be allocated on a ‘first come, first serve’ basis. Please contact us if you would like to access Trading Standards’ free advice.