The Charter Trustees for Taunton are the 16 Somerset West and Taunton councillors elected to represent wards in the unparished area of Taunton which has no town or parish council of its own.
The Trustees elect a Mayor and Deputy Mayor for Taunton each year. The Mayor and Deputy uphold the traditional roles previously carried out by the Mayor and Deputy Mayor of Taunton Deane within the boundary of the unparished area. They are separate to the Mayors for Dulverton, Minehead, Watchet and Wellington.
The Charter Trustees and the mayoralty are funded through a local tax, or precept, charged to Council Tax payers in the unparished area of Somerset West and Taunton. The precept is collected by Somerset West and Taunton through Council Tax bills.
Charter Trustees only have the power to raise a precept to cover the costs of their administration and the associated costs for the upkeep of the Civic Insignia or 'Silver' and the Mayoralty of Taunton. They cannot legally precept for taking on responsibilities and costs that Parish and Town Councils can such as grass cutting and public conveniences.
The Charter Trustees set their first precept for 2020/21 at £51,140 or £3.34 on a Band D property at their meeting on 23 January 2020. The minutes and papers for their meetings are accessible on our website.
- Community Infrastructure Levy Annual Report 2021-22
- Final External Auditor Report and Certificate 2020/21
- Interim External Auditor report and certificate 2020/21
- Notice of conclusion of audit 2020-2021
- Inspecting the accounts 2020-21
- Public inspection period notice
- Approved Governance Statement and Accounts statements 29/06/21
- Approved Account statements 27/08/20
- Approved Governance Statement 27/08/20
- Community Infrastructure Levy Annual Report 2020-21
- Notice of conclusion of audit 2019-20