Somerset Housing Strategy
The Somerset Housing Strategy (SHS) 2019 - 2023 has a vision that seeks to achieve the following:
- strong and effective strategic leadership
- housing and economy - a local economy that provides opportunity for all
- housing and health - homes in Somerset that are good for your Health
- housing and society - a society that supports the vulnerable
The vision will be delivered by a range of supporting priorities and objectives.
Production of the SHS began in the Summer of 2017 with a stakeholder conference at Taunton Rugby Club.
Each Somerset district and the County Council produced Housing Market Profiles to highlight key issues, achievements, opportunities and challenges.
There was then a public consultation during the Spring of 2018. This sought comment on the draft vision, priority and ambitions. Comments received, together with our response, can be viewed in the Consultation Response document.
The Somerset Housing Strategy was published on 6 March 2019 at a stakeholder conference at the Somerset County Cricket Club. This conference sought to generate ideas and energy for the delivery of the SHS. A ‘delivery plan’ will now be prepared. The presentations from this event can be viewed on request.
If you wish to see more of the background information, please contact us using the general enquiries online form.
Homelessness and Rough Sleeper Strategy
The Somerset Homelessness and Rough Sleeper Strategy (2019-2023) contains six priorities:
- Provision of adequate affordable accommodation
- The provision and effective use of temporary accommodation
- Support the Government’s commitment to combat rough sleeping
- Support prevention and early intervention
- Enable specific client groups to access suitable accommodation
- Maintain strong working relationships across partnerships
These priorities are supported by an action plan.
The SH&RSS and action plan can be found below, together with a copy of the supporting Needs Assessments and Equalities Impact Assessment.
- Somerset Homelessness & Rough Sleeper Strategy & Action Plan 2019-2023
- Somerset Homelessness & Rough Sleeper Needs Assessment 2019
- Joint EIA Homelessness-Rough Sleeper Dec 2019