On this page you will find details of the following:
- Somerset Housing Strategy (2019 - 2023)
- Somerset Homelessness and Rough Sleeper Strategy (2019 – 2023)
- Hinkley Point C – Housing Strategy – Phase 3 (2019 – 2023)
Somerset Housing Strategy
The Somerset Housing Strategy (SHS) 2019 - 2023 has a vision that seeks to achieve the following:
- strong and effective strategic leadership
- housing and economy - a local economy that provides opportunity for all
- housing and health - homes in Somerset that are good for your Health
- housing and society - a society that supports the vulnerable
The vision will be delivered by a range of supporting priorities and objectives.
Production of the SHS began in the Summer of 2017 with a stakeholder conference at Taunton Rugby Club.
Each Somerset district and the County Council produced Housing Market Profiles to highlight key issues, achievements, opportunities and challenges.
There was then a public consultation during the Spring of 2018. This sought comment on the draft vision, priority and ambitions. Comments received, together with our response, can be viewed in the Consultation Response document.
The Somerset Housing Strategy was published on 6 March 2019 at a stakeholder conference at the Somerset County Cricket Club. This conference sought to generate ideas and energy for the delivery of the SHS. A ‘delivery plan’ will now be prepared. The presentations from this event can be viewed on request.
If you wish to see more of the background information, please contact us using the general enquiries online form.
Better Futures for vulnerable people
Better Futures relates directly to the Somerset Housing Strategy and the Somerset Homelessness and Rough Sleeper Strategy. Better Futures takes these strategies further to describe the issues experienced by individuals with complex lives, and provides an action plan for creating more effective support services and accommodation options. Delivery is to be coordinated through the Somerset Homelessness Reduction Board.
Homelessness and Rough Sleeper Strategy
The Somerset Homelessness and Rough Sleeper Strategy (2019-2023) contains six priorities:
- Provision of adequate affordable accommodation
- The provision and effective use of temporary accommodation
- Support the Government’s commitment to combat rough sleeping
- Support prevention and early intervention
- Enable specific client groups to access suitable accommodation
- Maintain strong working relationships across partnerships
These priorities are supported by an action plan.
The Somerset Homelessness and Rough Sleeper Strategy and action plan can be found below, together with a copy of the supporting Needs Assessments and Equalities Impact Assessment.
- Somerset Homelessness and Rough Sleeper Strategy and Action Plan 2019-2023
- Somerset Homelessness and Rough Sleeper Needs Assessment 2019
- Joint EIA Homelessness-Rough Sleeper Dec 2019
Hinkley Point C – Housing Strategy – Phase 3 (2019 – 2023)
The HPC – Housing Strategy – Phase 3 (2019-2023) contains four priorities:
- Increase the stock of accommodation by:
- making best use of existing accommodation such as social housing and empty home
- identifying new opportunities for bed space within the private rented sector
- supporting housing enablers to identify and deliver opportunities for new affordable housing development
- Work with landlords to improve the quality of properties to let (including Houses in Multiple Occupation – HMO) and to keep them available on the open market for local residents
- Support tenants, and in particular the vulnerable, to improve their chances of accessing and remaining in rented properties, preventing homelessness
- Regularly monitor the impact of the Hinkley workforce on both the local housing market and local communities, and regularly review strategies and actions to maximise opportunities and mitigate impacts
These priorities are supported by an action plan, which details how we (and our partners) shall invest £1.4m of EDF funding. This funding will be used to deliver a range of projects to help mitigate the impact of the HPC development on the local housing market.
The strategy and action plan can be found below, together with a copy of the supporting Workforce and Impact Assessment and Equalities Impact Assessment.
- Hinkley Point C - Housing Strategy - Phase 3 (2019 - 2023)
- Workforce and Impact Assessment
- Equalities Impact Assessment
The Somerset Strategic Housing Group produces a monthly newsletter. If you would like to receive a copy, please contact us using the general enquiries online form.